Sunday 26 September 2010

Change #16: Pilates 'core' exercise

I have a dodgy back, those of you who know me, know this to be true. I have a chronic condition meaning exercise is a bit of a no go. I have a great colleague who also has a bad back and swears by the benefits of Pilates - not as my darling hubby and daughter refer to it and follow it - Pie and a latte! I found a local tutor, but recommendations suggested she was not the one for me, all talk and no action apparently. I googled, I browsed, I read the recommendations, I purchased a beginner's guide.
 It's great, and all I do is the 'core strengthening exercise' I've pulled in my tummy, stretched a little from the four children I have stored in there over time, and begun to strengthen my lower back. It's working out to be considerably cheaper than the cost of the osteopath each time my sacro-iliac joint goes awry too. So now it's another part of my daily routine at #16.

  1. No alcohol – feeling lighter in myself when I simply think 'I don't drink'
  2. Mindful eating – starting to notice and accept that message from my brain indicating that I've had enough. Found out today that if I breathe a couple of times when I sit to eat, it focuses the mind more. Apparently if i take longer over my food, which I appear to be doing instead of chucking it down on auto, it gives my stomach time to register the food. That takes approximately 20 mins. Amazing what you don't know, that might be helpful in life isn't it?
  3. Daily body scan – haven't done this today
  4. Charity shop shopping – seriously considering emtying out my entire wardrobe of clothes that don't fit, considering...
  5. Mindful breathing every hour – combining with drinking as and when, not really every hour
  6. Remembering my friends – I have so many to think of, and now they are sort of accumulated in this lovely soft pink fluffy place, sending me love and compassion. That sounds a bit icky, but try it, it feels soooo good
  7. Smiling regularly – This becomes easier the more you do it, and I feel better in myself. Seriously, I am cheering myself up!
  8. Help if and when I can – still may be doing too much? Feeling less guilty though
  9. Italian conversation class – Monday next week - Library. My class starts Thursday evening
  10. Becoming a blogger – Thank you for reading
  11. Writing 10 mins daily – little and often can be surprisingly satisfying
  12. Drinking a glass of water every hour – rehydration is marvellous, but avoiding dehydration is even better. My skin looks fab
  13. Thinking about it, before I say yes or no – sometimes I find I don't say yes or no, i think I'm avoiding some stuff!
  14. Having my eyes tested – waiting for reading glasses, but aware now that I do have a problem so not giving myself such a hard time
  15. Walking in the fresh air every day – I think I'm a bit of a softy because the weather is putting me off. It's also encouraging me on beautiful Autumn days

 

No comments:

Post a Comment