Wednesday 8 September 2010

Making a start

I seriously need to change my life. What, you might ask, is wrong with my life? A cursory glance will show you I have a wonderful husband; have a plethora of delightful children-most of whom have reached adulthood and are financially independent of me; have an amazing part time job with good pay; am well thought of by various good friends; live in a beautiful home in the midst of rolling fields and am not especially ugly. All of this, one would think, would add up to a degree of satisfaction not often spoken about in award-winning dramas, blockbuster movies or the daily barrage of ill luck and misfortune we have come to call the news.

So, at the end of the day, I make a note in a diary, as I have done for a number of years now, about five things I'm grateful for. This is a long-standing habit, born out of a desire never to forget that life has times, been less forthcoming with the goodies. Yet now, when I had so much, I find myself writing, on a regular basis in that diary: “ getting through the day". Now what kind of woman with all I have, is listing "getting through the day" as one of her five things to be grateful for? It struck me as a little sad and as a result I stopped making the lists until one day I woke up and realised that with even sadder. With this realisation came the hot thought "I seriously need to change my life". Here goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment