Wednesday 22 September 2010

Change # 11: Writing for at least 10 minutes every day

Lumb Bank
I have always written. I have notebooks and diaries and folders full of stuff I have added to over the years for as long as I can remember. I have a certain style, and it isn't the most cheery, however it is usually stuff from life - not always mine. What I have not done is been consistent. I will write for a bit, stop for a bit, stop for longer, write frantically. I enjoy writing but I make excuses not to.
I went on an amazing course in April this year, at Lumb Bank near Heptonstall and run by a fantastic organisation called Arvon. On the course I met many amazing people and those on my course, all 16 of us are still very much in touch and encouraging of each other. Having that motivates me, but life still gets in the way and I tell myself I don't have time to write. Not true, I choose to spend my time doing other things! So change #11 is to write for a minimum of 10 minutes. It's not onerous, and if I cannot make that much time in my day, I am ready to admit that I don't really WANT to!
  1. No alcohol – this is sometimes a challenge, more than I thought it would be: at the end of a long day, when I'm eating food I associate with having an alcoholic drink, in company - interesting...
  2. Mindful eating – Thoroughly enjoying this. It's like I have given myself permission to stop and think.
  3. Daily body scan – had a bit of a revelation with this one, have discovered that if I am covered with a blanket or duvet whn I do the meditation, I don't twitch. Not convinced it's only a temperature thing, think it's more a feeling of vulnerability when I am lying with my eyes closed and headphones on. Anyway, when I am covered I meditate without twitching!
  4. Charity shop shopping – we regularly receive plastic sacks through the door for various charities, so I am trying to put things in them.
  5. Mindful breathing every hour – not always easy to remember, but I am aware of my breathing more times than I was in the day, so that is a good start.
  6. Remembering my friends – I love this one, in my car, in meetings, reading a book, I bring them to mind and have a lovely inward smile and sense of belonging.
  7. Smiling regularly – Getting better at this. I have done some investigating online and found even more to laugh at.
  8. Help if and when I can – Hmm
  9. Italian conversation class – Still haven't quite made it to the library for CDs
  10. Becoming a blogger – Small gap in my postings, but I'm back on it
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment