Friday 24 September 2010

Change # 13: Think about it before I say 'Yes'... or 'No'

Amongst the many things that are crossing my mind currently, is the fact that I behave so regularly on auto pilot. I respond automatically with a 'No' when it might be something I would really love to do, then I'm annoyed because I feel like I'm missing out. I respond automatically, or even sometimes reluctantly, with a 'Yes' when I don't really want to, then I'm annoyed and resentful about commiting myself to something onerous or unpleasant. Hardly behaviour for an intelligent well educated woman, let alone a psychologist.
So... new regime and change #13. Stop and think BEFORE responding. Ask myself some searching questions - 'Do I want to? Can I? Will it make me feel good/better/bad/worse? Is there an alternative that would be a better choice? Am I making an active choice? Can I then live with the consequence of that choice instead of moaning about it?'
Seneca stated 'Life is long, if you know how to live it'. This stopping and thinking, being mindful of choices, decisions and appropriate responsibilities really slows the day down. What with that and breathing, eating, drinking, remembering and smiling, the day is beginning to expand- weird isn't it?
  1. No alcohol – I think this is irritating some of the people in my life, because it means that they stop and think too
  2. Mindful eating – Well, I have lost 5lbs in weight since I started this change
  3. Daily body scan – No twitching, just floating now
  4. Charity shop shopping – tempted, but have decided to wait before a revisit. Have worn most of the stuff I bought and really enjoyed how I looked and felt
  5. Mindful breathing every hour – still not managing every hour, but much improvement on previous mindless breathing
  6. Remembering my friends – still loving the feeling I get from doing this, and the all over body smile that results from it
  7. Smiling regularly – see above, plus peole are still sending me links for funnies and BT Vision is providing me with another chuckle resource
  8. Help if and when I can – at least I have started to acknowledge when I get pulled into helping when I might not want to
  9. Italian conversation class – buena sera
  10. Becoming a blogger – regular updates are actually a bit onerous, so have decided to do them as and when and not give myself a hard time if I am too tired
  11. Writing 10 mins daily – blog plus other stuff, still coming
  12. Drinking a glass of water every hour – not every hour, but when feasable. Maybe I need to combine with #5 and do them at the same time?


No comments:

Post a Comment