Friday 10 September 2010

Change #7: Smiling regularly throughout my day

Well thanks to yesterday's inspiration I started smiling regularly and felt so much better all the way to my roots. Inspiration indeed. I have spent moments today simply smiling to myself. Here are some of the reasons it might be good for me to smile:
  • When you laugh, your body releases endorphins. These are brain chemicals known as neurotransmitters, which make us feel happy. They are also a natural pain and stress reliever.
  • Laughing reduces levels of cortisol, the stress hormone, and gives us a quick burst of energy.
  • A good laugh can be beneficial to the lungs, boost immunity, and could even burn off calories.
  • Smiley, happy people are thought to have more friends and be more successful, by appearing more confident and approachable.
People believe that smiling happens when we feel good, but what is more important is the fact that the opposite is also true: that smiling - even if you’re feeling down - has the ability to instantly change your mood for the better. That’s because facial expressions provide feedback to the left frontal cortex of your brain - the area where happiness is registered; which in turn affects emotions and behaviour. How good is that?

  1. No alcohol - oh yes, another success
  2. Mindful eating - yes, even the yorkshire pudding, yummy
  3. Daily body scan - some interuptions, still find the temptation to wriggle unsurmountable
  4. Charity shop shopping
  5. Mindful breathing - how good is this trick. I love it
  6. Remembering my friends - how had I forgotten them

No comments:

Post a Comment